Home security is one of the most important aspects of home ownership. Protecting your family, valuables, and property is essential, and a home security system is one of the most effective ways to accomplish this. However, with so many options on the market, it can be difficult to know what to expect in terms of cost.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the cost of home security systems in 2021, what you can expect to pay, and what factors can impact the overall cost.
The Basics of Home Security Systems
Before we dive into the cost, let’s first take a closer look at what a home security system is and how it works.
A home security system typically consists of a control panel, door and window sensors, motion detectors, and sometimes security cameras. These components work together to detect and report any suspicious activity in and around your home.
When an alarm is triggered, either by a door or window being opened or by motion being detected, the system sends a signal to a monitoring center. From there, the appropriate authorities can be notified and dispatched if necessary.
Factors That Impact the Cost of Home Security Systems
The cost of a home security system can vary widely depending on a number of factors. Here are some of the most important:
Type of System
There are several different types of home security systems on the market, including:
- DIY Systems: These systems can be purchased and installed by the homeowner. They typically involve wireless sensors and mobile app control.
- Professionally Installed Systems: These systems are installed by a professional, and usually involve hardwired sensors and a control panel.
- Monitored Systems: These systems are connected to a monitoring center, where trained professionals are available 24/7 to respond to any alerts.
- Unmonitored Systems: These systems are not connected to a monitoring center and rely on an audible alarm to scare off intruders.
The more advanced features a home security system offers, the higher the cost will be. Some features to consider when looking at home security systems include:
- Smart Home Integration: Many modern systems can be integrated with other smart home devices, such as Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Mobile App Control: With a mobile app, homeowners can arm and disarm their system remotely, receive notifications, and access security cameras.
- Video Surveillance: Cameras can be installed to monitor the home’s exterior and interior.
- Professional Monitoring: Trained professionals can monitor the system 24/7 and respond to any alerts.
Size of the Home
The size of your home will also impact the cost of a home security system. Larger homes will require more sensors, cameras, and other components, which will increase the overall cost.
Type of Home
The type of home you have can also impact the cost of a home security system. For example, a single-family home with a large yard and multiple entry points will require more sensors and cameras than a small apartment.
What to Expect in 2021
So, now that we know what factors can impact the cost of a home security system, what can we expect in terms of pricing in 2021? Here are some average costs for different types of systems:
- DIY Systems: Between $100 and $500
- Professionally Installed Systems: Between $250 and $1,500
- Monitored Systems: Between $15 and $45 per month
- Unmonitored Systems: Between $100 and $400 upfront
It’s important to remember that these are just averages, and the actual cost of your home security system will depend on a number of factors, including the features you choose, the size of your home, and the type of system you want.
Tips for Saving Money on a Home Security System
If you’re concerned about the cost of a home security system, there are some steps you can take to save money:
- Look for Promotions: Many home security companies offer promotions and discounts throughout the year. Keep an eye out for these, as they can help you save money.
- Consider a DIY System: DIY systems can be much less expensive than professionally installed systems, as you won’t have to pay for installation.
- Shop Around: Don’t be afraid to shop around and compare prices from different companies. This can help you find the best deal on a home security system.
A home security system is an important investment in the safety and security of your home and family. While the cost can vary widely depending on a number of factors, there are options available for every budget. By understanding what factors impact the cost and doing your research, you can find a home security system that fits your needs and your budget.
Sure, here are 3 popular FAQs with answers for “The Cost of Home Security Systems: What to Expect in 2021”:
How much does a basic home security system cost in 2021?
Answer: A basic home security system in 2021 can cost anywhere from $200 to $600 upfront, depending on the brand and features. Monthly monitoring fees can range from $15 to $60 per month.
What features should I expect in a mid-range home security system?
Answer: In a mid-range home security system, you can expect features such as door and window sensors, motion detectors, a control panel, and possibly a mobile app for remote access. These systems can cost between $600 and $1,500 upfront, with monthly monitoring fees ranging from $30 to $60.
Are there any additional costs I should be aware of when purchasing a home security system?
Answer: Yes, there may be additional costs to consider when purchasing a home security system. These can include installation fees if you opt for professional installation, equipment upgrades or add-ons, and cancellation fees if you choose to end your contract before the agreed-upon term. It’s important to read the fine print and ask your provider about any additional costs before signing up for a home security system.