Kwikset is a popular brand when it comes to smart locks, and the SmartKey system is one of their most popular offerings. However, even with the best design and engineering practices in place, sometimes things can go wrong. One common issue that happens with Kwikset SmartKey locks is when the door doesn’t lock properly or gets stuck. Fortunately, there are some easy fixes you can try before calling in a professional.
In this article, we’ll explore the reasons why your Kwikset SmartKey might get stuck and offer some effective solutions to fix it quickly without causing any damage.
Common Reasons for Kwikset SmartKey Malfunctions
Before diving into the specific steps to fix your malfunctioning Kwikset lock, let’s first take a look at some of the most common reasons why these issues occur:
- Incorrect key insertion: Sometimes using an incorrect key or inserting it upside down can cause problems with your lock.
- Foreign material inside: Dust particles, metal shavings from installation work, debris from daily use – all of these items (and more) could prevent smooth operation of your locking mechanism.
- Improper installation or alignment: If installed too tight or if screws come loose over time due to vibrations after repeated use.
- Defective parts or manufacturing errors: Although rare occasions require attention by manufacturer but happens occasionally.
Regardless of the reason behind your faulty Kwikset SmartKey lock performance may be inconvenient at times , fortunately they are easily repairable once diagnosed correctly.
Easy Fixes for Stuck Kwikset SmartKeys
If you’re experiencing problems with your Kwikset SmartKey getting stuck while trying to operate it don’t worry – there are several quick methods you can try before turning to professional help:
Method 1 – Cleaning Your Lock
This method will remove any accumulated dirt, grime, and debris that may be causing your lock to get stuck or not turn correctly. Here are the steps you can follow:
- Spray the inside of your Kwikset SmartKey lock with a penetrating oil, then use compressed air or a soft-bristled brush to remove any loose dirt or dust particles.
- Insert and turn both the new key and old key 5 times each to distribute lubricant evenly throughout internal mechanism.
- If excess oil is visible, wipe it clean with an absorbent cloth.
Method 2 – Resetting Your Kwikset Lock
This method will reset your SmartKey lock as if you’re setting up for the first time.. Follow these steps:
- Insert the current working key into your Kwikset smartkey lock but don’t fully insert it yet.
- Make sure that your lock is in unlock position so that cylinder has free movement
- Take a paperclip or similar tool straighten it out for pickng pins on back side of locking cylinder hole location, insert it into small hole located around 90 degree from center, push until audible ”click” appears
4.Remove original key(s) And reinsert again make sure they go full way.
Method 3 – Adjusting The Alignment
If improper alignment becomes issue after some wear and tear adjustments could be made by following these steps:
1.Check screws that attach latch plate on door frame see if there is any looseness from vibrations over usage period
2.Tighten them lightly using driver which fits screw size , Also do little testing once tightened enough tension applied to ensure accuracy in operation
3.Should still persist check door / strike plate alignment problems – this involves making gradual changes until desired fitting achieved
Malfunctions with Kwikset SmartKeys happen more often than we would like, but fortunately they are usually easily repairable without much fuss thanks to high-quality engineering and design. In this article, we have provided you with some of the most common causes for Kwikset SmartKey malfunctions and easy fixes to try first before looking for professional help. By following these simple steps, you can quickly diagnose and fix your malfunctioning lock without causing any damage or unnecessary expense.
Here are three popular FAQs related to “Kwikset SmartKey Stuck? Easy Fix for Door Not Locking” and their answers:
Q: Why is my Kwikset SmartKey lock stuck in the unlocked position?
A: There could be several reasons why your Kwikset SmartKey lock is stuck in the unlocked position. One common cause is that the locking mechanism has become misaligned due to a loose doorknob or deadbolt. To fix this, try tightening all screws on the door hardware and see if it helps realign everything.
Q: I can’t insert my key into my Kwikset SmartKey lock – what could be causing this?
A: If your key won’t insert into your Kwikset SmartKey lock, there may be an obstruction blocking its path inside the cylinder. Try cleaning out any dirt or debris from the keyway using a can of compressed air or a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.
Q: My Kwikset SmartKey won’t turn or unlock – how do I fix this issue?
A: One possible reason why your Kwikset SmartKey won’t turn or unlock is that there may be debris inside the cylinder preventing proper operation of the tumblers and pins within it. Another possibility could be that one of these parts has worn out over time and needs replacement. In either case, you should disassemble the lock using basic hand tools and inspect each component for damage or wear-and-tear before attempting any repairs considering replacing it with another compatible smartkey model .