Google Smart Lock is a service that allows users to store and auto-fill login credentials and payment information across multiple devices. While it can be convenient, some users may prefer to disable it for privacy or security reasons. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do just that.
1. Open Settings
First, open the Settings app on your Android device.
2. Scroll down
Scroll down until you find the “Google” option and tap on it.
3. Tap on “Security”
Scroll down to find the “Security” option and tap on it.
4. Tap on “Smart Lock for Passwords”
You’ll find an option named “Smart Lock for Passwords”. Tap on it.
5. Disable Smart Lock
You’ll now see an option to “Save passwords”. Toggle this off to disable Google Smart Lock.
You’ll be asked to confirm your decision. Tap on “OK” to proceed.
7. Disable Google Smart Lock for Chrome
If you use the Google Chrome browser, you’ll need to disable Smart Lock for Chrome separately. Open Chrome, tap on the three dots in the top right corner, and select “Settings.”
8. Tap on “Passwords”
Scroll down until you find the “Passwords” option and tap on it.
9. Tap on “Smart Lock”
You should now see an option for “Smart Lock”. Tap on it.
10. Disable Smart Lock
Toggle off the option for Smart Lock to disable it for Google Chrome.
Some Things to Keep in Mind
- Disabling Google Smart Lock will prevent any automatic login attempts or payment autofills.
- You’ll need to manually enter your login credentials and payment information every time you sign in or make a purchase.
- If you use a password manager, disabling Smart Lock may not impact your login experience.
- Some apps and websites may still prompt you to save your login credentials even if Smart Lock is disabled. You can choose to decline these prompts if you prefer not to save your information.
By following these simple steps, you can easily disable Google Smart Lock on your Android device and enhance your privacy and security.
How do I disable Google Smart Lock on my Android phone?
Answer: To disable Google Smart Lock on your Android phone, go to your phone’s Settings app and tap on “Google” under the “Personal” section. Next, tap “Security” and then “Smart Lock.” Enter your phone’s security code and then tap on the “Trusted devices” option. From here, you can remove any devices that you’ve previously marked as trusted, which will disable Google Smart Lock.
Can I disable Google Smart Lock on my iPhone?
Answer: Google Smart Lock is only available on Android devices, so you don’t need to worry about disabling it on your iPhone.
Will disabling Google Smart Lock delete my saved passwords and data?
Answer: No, disabling Google Smart Lock will not delete any saved passwords or data. However, you will need to manually enter your passwords the next time you log in to a website or app.